Friday, June 10, 2016

Memories, Or A Lack Thereof

I remember back when I was a new mom with big plans and I did everything "right".  Jeremy and I would do everything we could to give the kids the happy, "perfect" life with wonderful memories.  We spent so much money on things that NONE of the kids remember now.  Think back to when you were 8 and under......how much do you remember!?!?  We took the three oldest to Disneyland and a bunch of other places too.  Do they remember?  Tristan and Cedric have vague memories of it, Liam remembers getting lost and that's it.  It's funny, I think it was more to make us feel like we were doing right by our kids, than actually about the kids.  The memories were for us, not them.

The way I see it, it is not my job as a parent to ENTERTAIN them.  It is my job as a parent to love them unconditionally, nourish their bodies and minds, and provide their basic life necessities.  Not that I don't want them to have fun or I don't want to do fun things with them.  I just don't know how parenting became this competition of sorts between parents.  Facebook is flooded with these posts about what great moms and dads people are for....taking their kids to the park!?!? What?  Anyone can take a kid to a park, that doesn't make them a good parent.  Oh look a this picture of Dad hugging his kid....um, okay...boy, he must be the best dad ever to hug his kid and plaster it on facebook....definitely the sign of a great parent.  *sigh*  Everyone is just out to prove how "perfect" their life and family are.  I just don't get it.  I wonder why they don't post pictures when they just had an argument with their kid and say "best dad ever, totally just won this argument with my kid and sent him to his room, boo-yah!"

I love spending time with my kiddos.  I also like spending time without my kiddos.....and guess what?!!?!?  Shhhh....don't tell anyone because it is a huge secret apparently....but, you can still be a good parent AND enjoy your time without them AND it is okay to admit that. 

All that being said, I'm planning a very MEMORABLE trip for the whole fam and I can't wait to surprise them with it!! 

No comments: