Saturday, February 19, 2011

Frickin Formula

I HATE formula!  I am still battling with trying to feed Eden.  I feel like a complete and utter(udder haha) failure.  Who in their right mind would choose to feed a newborn human something that is produced in a factory somewhere under who knows what kind of conditions?!?!?!  Just a couple months ago all the similac was recalled because there were beetles in the formula!!!! Frickin BEETLES!!!!  I know darn well that beetles do NOT come out of my boobs!  We were given boobs for one reason.....and dang it, I'm gonna make mine work right.  I have been ripping Eden off!  I've been giving her Enfamil.  Crap Almighty!  That's another thing.......I saw another woman there at the store comparing the two products of the generic formula verses the name brand and she went with the generic!!! Just because it's the same ingredient on the label doesn't mean it's actually the same ingredient in the can.  Think about it this way.....you can have two cows.....one fed the natural way in a field....the other fed the unnatural way, injected with hormones, and horrible things.....maybe it has mad cow disease?!?!?  Who knows?!?!?!  But,the labels with both still say beef, won't they!??!?!  ARGH!!!

6 comments:

timpani76 said...

You have a low milk supply? Me too! What herbs have you tried? I have to do about a million things to get my milk to keep coming, and sometimes it makes me feel like failure. I have a whole list of stuff I do if you want me to send it to you.

Sorsha is allergic to milk and soy, and so far (knock on wood) I have not had to give her the nasty Alimentum stuff like I did with my older daughter starting when she was 6 months old (and my milk dried up).

colista said...

I've been trying that Mother's milk tea, and eating lots of peanut butter and oatmeal. and pumping. But, it's not coming along very well. It started about two months and just has gotten worse and worse. Now she's old enough for food and I keep thinking I should just deal with it because she won't get that much formula anymore but i feel like a bad mom, dang it. I always had way more than enough with all the boys....I can't figure it out. What have you been trying????

timpani76 said...

3 tablets of fenugreek 3 times a day for 2-3 days. That will spike your milk back up, it works better if you take Blessed Thistle (also called Milk Thistle) along with it. I take 1 tablet of Blessed Thistle along with each 3 tablet dose of fenugreek. Both of those those you can get at GNC Health Stores. You have to take a break after three days though.

On the three days off of the Fenugreek/Blessed Thistle regime, I take Goat's Rue

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTHERLOVE-GOATS-RUE-Authorized-Reseller-Goats-Rue-/110532256797?pt=Feeding&var=&hash=item5f76189182

and

Shatavari
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shatavari-Extract-1-oz-Herb-Pharm-/200572287944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb30a3bc8

Both of those are more expensive so I have to use them sparingly.

I also have to eat oatmeal (Steel cut oats work better) twice a day, drink 8-16 oz of something with electrolytes (like gatorade or powerade or propel). I eat protein every time I eat (6 times a day) and try to stay away from sugar and white flour items.

I cannot go more than 6 hours between feedings, so I wait until 3 hours after the baby goes to bed and I pump. I also have my husband bring me the baby at 5am when he wakes up (and then he puts her back to bed so we can sleep some more).

And, that's my "make more milk routine". It's complicated, and is basically what I found works for me. I have something called PCOS which is the reason my body does not like to make milk once the baby turns about 5-6 months old.

With this routine, I have been able to hold on to my milk a lot longer. We are at 10 months now with Sorsha and I hope to be able to make it until she is at least 18 months old because of her severe food allergies. If we had to put her on formula, it would be the prescription kind ($42 a can), so that's why I am doing everything in my power to keep my milk this time!

Colista said...

Thanks so much Timpani!!! I'm gonna buy these online today! I haven't fed her for a couple of days because I'm on an antibiotic and she always gets thrush when I'm on one so hopefully I still have milk at all. Sigh.

Colista said...

By the way, you are AWESOME! Such a good mom to do all that for her!!!

timpani76 said...

I am just happy I have been able to keep my milk this long (as opposed to 6 months with the other two). I feel like I have read every breastfeeding book/online article on the planet to find a routine that works for me.